Wed, 17 July 2019
"SUN 'n FUN, It's not just for April anymore!"
Live broadcast premiere
Hosted by Dave Shallbetter, with co-hosts Carl Valeri, Kevin Strieter, Robert Erickson, Derek Lagasse, & Lizzy Havens, Episode 1 "SUN 'n FUN, it's not just for April anymore" was originally broadcast live on SUN 'n FUN Radio 1510 A.M. & audio streamed on LiveATC.net/snf, on Saturday, July 13, 2019.
In this episode we introduce our host & a few of the co-hosts you'll be hearing on future episodes.
NOTE: Being a LIVE event and it includes a LOT of introductions, this episode runs long (WAY LONG!) Future eps will be an hour (or so!) If you'd like to hear a certain segment, look for the time code in the Show Notes below.
Also please read the message from Tim Wells, SnF Dir. of Maintenance, after the show notes.
00:00:00- 00:19:45 Meet the Staff- Dave introduces our co-hosts.
00:19:45- 00:57:45 Dave & Carl chat with John "Lites" Leenhouts, SnF President & CEO
00:58:00- 01:29:15 Carl & Derek chat with Robin McFarland, SnF Volunteer Coordinator
01:29:45- 01:48:00 Dave, Derek & Carl chat with Ed Young, Executive Director of the Aerospace Center for Excellence (A.C.E.)
01:48:25- 02:10:15 Dave & Carl chat with Carol Cali, SnF Director of Marketing *** TRIVIA QUESTION- Listen for the trivia question! Submit your answer to SnFRadio@gmail.com Correct answers will be entered in a drawing for a $50 PilotMall.com gift certificate!!!***
02:10:15- 02:44:00 Kevin & Robert chat with Mike Z, Lakeland Aero Club
02:45:00- 03:06:30 Dave, Carl, & Lizzy chat with Special Guest, John Beauvais, Ray Scholarship recipient.
03:06:30- 03:09:39 Wrap up, Thank yous, & exit. ***Trivia Question asked again***
Tim Wells, SUN 'n FUN Director of Maintenance couldn't be there for our LIVE premiere, but asked I share this info:
What’s happening in Maintenance:
1) We are painting Hangar B inside and out, the outside of Commercial security, C hangar, D hangar, and Pilot Mall this off season, if there is such a thing as off season anymore on the ACE/SNF campus.
2) Expansion to the Lakeland Aeroclub to close in the 2 outside carports and turn them in to a simulator room and a class room
3) Working on a Master Site plan for the entire campus
4) Working on the 4 million dollar expansion to the museum, named project Skylab
5) Finding a new home for Camping registration
6) Reorganizing the 42 acres for wetland mitigation
7) Handling Chairman request- waiting for the quote back for the radio station roof
8) Events, events, and more events!!
I would like to give a shout out to my A#1 team Murray, Rubin, Logan, Brian, Tim 2, and Don. My part time guys Juan, Jared, Luke and Tod. And to my year round volunteers Nasa Don, Don Bronstein, and Dianne Rozek. We would never be able to accomplish all of the tasks without all of their help and dedication.
What can we use in Maintenance, skills wise:
1) We can always use help to mow these pristine 225 acres!
2) Can always use a carpenter to help fix decks and picnic tables
3) It would be great to have a year round electrician
4) General help to help us paint
5) Anyone with a mechanical background
6) Someone to run and pick up parts
Just to name a few!!
I would also like to take a minute to Thank Jeremy Brown – Chairman of the Raiders for lending us heavy equipment so we are capable of getting major projects done such as the milling roads, tree raising etc. His kind generous donation over the past 2 years has made all of the difference in the world. So as an example, if you don’t have time yourself to volunteer, you can still give to the cause to help us do the heavy lifting!! And they are in kind donations to our 501C3 for write off purposes.
If I had a wish list, one of the biggest things we can use in maintenance are utility type golf carts. This helps our faithful early birds get around to accomplish their chores while getting ready for the fly in and it is critical to have transportation to get them around. Our newest vehicle in our fleet is the 1991 Chevy dump truck. Most vehicles are more than 20 years old. I just scrapped a 1976 van that we used up until this last year. We are currently rebuilding a flower babe utility cart with over 13,000 hours on it! That is more time than you have spent in your new truck, Dave!! Most donations are welcomed and greatly appreciated, we just don’t want to replace a 1976 van with a 1978 LOL.
Wed, 3 April 2019
Wed, 3 April 2019